|This article may contain outdated information that is inaccurate for the current version (Automation Innovation Pack Update). It was last updated for the Launch Update.|
Critters are aliens that lay eggs and some species produce materials and/or drop meat when dying. Ranching can be used to increase the number of critters, eggs, and materials. Some critters have different morphs which consume different foods, live at different temperatures, or produce different products.
List of Critters[edit | edit source]
|Meat||8||Will burrow in soft ground during the day, but will stay active if it can't find a place to burrow.|
|None||8||Floating/hovering critter, provides a constant source of light and +30 decor in its immediate vicinity. Nice to have in one's base due to the light and decor bonuses. Small health pool and only a small number spawn.|
|Pip||Arbor Trees||Dirt||Meat||8||Plants loose seeds into soft blocks and can knock items out of storage compactors.|
|Drecko||Balm Lily/Pincha Pepper/Mealwood||Phosphorite
|Meat||8||This creature can be found crawling around in cavities in the Caustic Biome. They are able to cling strongly to any surface, and will freely wander the full perimeter of whatever chamber they are in. They are not hostile and are quite mobile, inevitably wandering away from any chamber they are not trapped in.|
|Puft||Polluted Oxygen/Oxygen/Chlorine||Slime/ Oxylite/ Bleach Stone||Meat||6||Floating/hovering critter. Its movement is based on invert pyramid shape, moves center to top, left then right, follows bubbles of contaminated air, prefers going up. Sucks in the closest air bubble, goes up into top of room/chamber on borders of gases then spits out slime. Can follow its own slime consuming again. Won't go under water, but can enter a stream of water from below or from the side (and then die).|
|Pacu||Algae||Polluted Dirt||Pacu Fillet||12||Swims in water, can only be caught via a Fish Trap.|
|Slickster||Carbon Dioxide/Oxygen||Crude Oil/Petroleum||Meat||8||Floats over the floor or liquid, and follows spots of carbon dioxide.|
|Shove Vole||Regolith/Dirt/Iron Ore||Solid Tile||Meat||∞||Burrowing critters that eat the Regolith collected on terrestrial surfaces.|
|Gassy Moo||Gas Grass||Natural Gas||none||Meat||6||Extraterrestrial creatures that feed on gas grass and excretes natural gas.|
|Morb||none||Polluted Oxygen||none||Polluted Oxygen||∞||Spawns from full Outhouses if it filled long enough but can be found naturally, produces contaminated oxygen unless in high pressure gas, explodes in a puff of Polluted Oxygen or Chlorine upon death. Cannot be Ranched.|
Common traits[edit | edit source]
Most critters share the following traits:
- Are not aggressive (with exception of Pokeshell, which will attack anything if there are any of their eggs nearby).
- Occupy one tile and can crawl into narrow spaces (except adult Pokeshells).
- Have no temperature awareness and will die if subjected to temperature extremes (specific range depends on species).
- Can live in any atmosphere including Vacuum, yet will drown in liquids (but seem to try to escape), with exception of Pacus and Pokeshells.
- Pacus are reduced to the flopping state in absence of water.
- Both wild and tamed critters age, lay eggs, and have a capped life expectancy (with exception of Morbs, those have no life-cycle, and Gassy Moos, which lay no eggs).
- Juvenile critters takes 5 cycles to grow into an adult.
- A wild critter does not need a diet. Once tamed they will begin to lose calories and starve if not fed after a number of cycles. A tamed critter with "glum" debuff loses calories slower than a happy tamed critter.
- Wild critters usually always stay happy, if they have enough space.
- Resource conversion can range tenfold depending on critter status ( wild+glum < tame+glum < wild+happy < tame+happy). See also: Metabolism
- Can't use ladders for pathfinding purposes.
- Babies can't jump tile gaps.
- Can arrive as a care package by Printing Pod (except Morbs and Gassy Moos).
- They drop meat or whatever material when they die, no matter of how this happens (being killed by a duplicant, dying of old age, drowning, ...).
Hatch and Morb, as walking critters, share the traits:
- Can walk, jump across 1 tile gaps, climb diagonally 1 tile, and jump up diagonally 1 tile to left/right and 2 tiles up/down.
- Can sometimes jump into liquids.
- Hatchlings cannot cross gaps, or jump up/down.